MONTANA CROSS-COUNTRY 'T' ASSOCIATION, INC.
General Rules and Regulations for 1966
- Not more than two people per car at any time as a driver
or assistant. More than two people can be participants
with any one car but no more than two working on it at
any one time during the race, including coffee stops.
- No outside help allowed while under time on road. Driver
guilty of either above will be penalized one hour.
- Route will be posted and marked as deemed advisable.
- Last day of race scheduled to end at noon in order to
have time for teardown inspection, meeting etc.
- Sponsors and advertising optional.
- Club will furnish braided seal wire, each driver will be
expected to put the wire in place so it may be sealed.
- Drill left hand front head bolt, second or third large
pan, and first or second small pan bolt.
- Removal of head or pan will impose a time penalty of 2
hours unless you are under the time clock. Removal of
head or pan should be reported to the Judges by anyone
knowing of such being done.
- No replacement of complete engine allowed. Penalty for
such being done is disqualification.
- Other repairs during timeout stops, no penalty.
- Disabled cars may be trailered and will receive slow time
plus ten minutes time penalty. Please report to Timer as
soon as possible.
- Citation by law will constitute a time penalty of one
- First three cars placing will be torn down for inspection
by five appointed inspectors, with the fourth being
available for inspection.
- Any car disqualified, the owner becomes responsible for
- NO ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES ALLOWED IN COMPETING CARS. THIS IS
A MUST AND ANYONE GUILTY OF AN INFRACTION WILL BE
BODY AND CHASSIS
- Only stock Ford "T" frame, body, running
boards, sand shields and fenders allowed, and also
- Some type of substantially built box or turtle deck
required on roadsters and pickups.
- Only Model "T" wire or wooden spoke or disc
- Only 4:40-4:50/21, 30x3 or 30x3 1/2 tires allowed.
- Model "T" type radiator, tanks and side
brackets, all stock dimensions allowed.
- Windshields, must be stock for year of car. No altering
of posts. Must have safety sheet or safety plate glass,
top and bottom windshields will be closed completely and
sealed for race.
- Only model "T" rear end, axles and standard 11
tooth pinion, and 40 tooth ring gear.
- No ball bearings on rear axle or drive shaft in place of
stock roller bearings allowed.
- Only model "T" steering column and gears
- Gas tank not more than ten gallons capacity.
- Complete set of floor boards required, in place.
- At least three feet of standard size (1 1/2) exhaust pipe
- Emergency brakes in working condition.
- No hydraulic brakes allowed.
- Bolts on wishbone at rear of pan must be safety wired.
- Ruckstell axles must be disconnected while under time.
- Cars must be licensed, Pioneer or regular.
INFRACTION OF ANY OF THE ABOVE RULES WILL BE
CAUSE FOR DISQUALIFICATION
- One or more stop lights in working order
- Model "T" type headlights in working order
required, (sealed beam allowed).
- Horn of any type in working order required.
- The name of the driver and his hometown shall be on both
the right and left hand sides of the car, in block or
script, at least three inches in height, any color, on
the car itself or an attached sign
- Rear view mirror of any type required.
THERE WILL BE A FIFTEEN MINUTE TIME PENALTY FOR
FAILURE TO COMPLY WITH ANY OF RULES 18 THROUGH 22.
- Shock absorbers are optional
- Zerk fittings in place of oil cups are O.K.
REQUIREMENTS OF LEGAL "T" ENGINE
- Reboring of cylinders not to exceed sixty-thousandths
- No limit on amount of milling of block and/or head.
- Cast iron or aluminum pistons of stock Model
"T" type required.
- Full set of piston rings required.
- Stock model "T" camshaft required, no
modifications, can be ground to standard stock. Will be
checked with degree wheel.
- Only standard size valve heads and forty-five degree
valves and seats allowed, pin or two piece keepers O.K.
- Adjustable valve lifters not allowed.
- No air holes allowed in manifold, must be plugged if
- The use of aluminum manifold is allowed.
- No grinding of the intake or exhaust manifolds or of the
- Chroming of crankshaft optional.
- No counterbalanced crankshaft allowed.
- Drilling of rod caps and use of dippers optional.
- Type of Fourth main is optional.
- All magnets must be on flywheel.
- All transmission bands must be in working order, bonded
- No boring of carburetors or of seats and needle valves.
Carburetors must be stock, Kingston, Holley, or Ford, and
complete including choke butterfly. Not more than three
qualified carburetors allowed in possession.
- No gas or fuel pumps allowed.
- Gas strainers allowed.
- No air supercharger allowed on carburetor.
- Only 6 volt battery for ignition allowed, no alteration
of ignition system, transistors, transformers, etc.
- Four Model "T" type coils required.
- Only one outside oil line, not more than one-half inch
outside diameter allowed, no modifications to inside
oiling system allowed.
- Only stock Ford Roller Type-(no ball bearing rollers)- or
New Day or Anderson, flapper type timers allowed.
- Heat or temperature guages allowed.
- Design of water pump, fan, and type of fan belt optional.
THE PENALTY FOR INFRACTION OF ANY OF THE ABOVE
RULES IS DISQUALIFICATION.
(end of rules)
This year Ruckstell is finally spelled correctly,
although gauge still isn't. This year water pumps are
allowed again. The rules of 1961 and 1962 allowed water
pumps. 1963, 64, and 65 did not mention them. Still no
superchargers. This year they tagged your carburetors at the
inspection before the race, and you could switch these three
carburetors at will throughout the race. Home made turtle decks
and boxes were required to be substantial this year.