MONTANA CROSS-COUNTRY 'T' ASSOCIATION, INC.
General Rules and Regulations for 1986
- Not more than two (2) people per car at any time as a
driver or assistant. More than two people can be
participants with any one car but no more than two (2)
working on it at any one time during the race, including
coffee stops. Any relief driver must be a paid-up member
of the Association.
- No alcoholic beverages allowed in competing cars. This
is a must anyone guilty of an infraction will be
- Tow units and travel units are to leave last. While on
the road, passenger cars and pickups must remain at least
100 yards behind "T"ers.
- Holes must be drilled through the heads of the following
bolts for braided seal wire: Left hand front head bolt --
Right hand middle head bolt -- Left hand middle two (2)
small pan bolts. A hole must be drilled through the head
of one of the bolts that fastens the carburetor to the
- Club will furnish braided seal wire. Each driver will put
the wire in place so that it may be sealed, or NO
- Removal of head or pan will impose a time penalty of one
(1) hour unless you are under the time clock. Removal of
head or pan under time must be reported to the timers at
the first opportunity
- Changing of carburetor imposes a time penalty of 15
minutes. This must be reported to an inspector
- Disabled cars may be trailered in and will receive slow
time for the day plus a one (1) hour time penalty.
Cars trailered in on last day are not eligible for prize
money and/or trophies.
- Citation by law will constitutes a time penalty of one
- Tear down will be determined by a vote of the
participating drivers and the board os directors
immediately following the race. The decision is
determined by a simple majority vote of those drivers and
- No replacement of complete engine allowed. Penalty for
such being done is disqualification.
- Model "T" type headlights in working order
required: sealed beam allowed.
- One (1) or more stop lights required.
- Horn of any type in working order required.
- The name of the owner or driver and his home town shall
be on both the right and left hand sides of the car, in
block or script.
- Rear view mirror of any type required.
- Padded seat cushions and back rest of any type required.
- Car must have standard "T" size battery not
exceeding six (6) volts.
- Cars must be licensed -- either pioneer or regular.
BODY AND CHASSIS REQUIREMENTS
All Model "T's" Must Be Stock with
the Following Exceptions:
- Body parts must be stock for year of car.
- Body must be painted --- color optional.
- Hoods are not required.
- Some type of substantially built box or turtle deck --
minimum length and width equal to size for stock turtle
deck on that year car, with floor, sideboards and
end-gate. Sides and end no less than six (6) inches high
from floor and made of no smaller than 3/4 inch wood.
- Only Model "T" wire or wooden spoke or disc
wheels allowed. May use Model "A" 21 inch wheel
or 30 by 3 1/2 wire wheels.
- Only 4:40 -- 5.25/21, 30 by 3 or 30 by 3 1/2 tires
- Rebuilt radiators allowed. Must be built to stock
dimensions including tanks and side brackets.
- Windshields, must be stock for year of car, no altering.
Must have safety sheet or safety plate glass, top and
bottom windshields, to be closed completely and sealed
for race. NO EXCEPTIONS.
- Only model "T" rear end, axles and standard
eleven tooth pinion, and forty tooth ring gear allowed.
Bronze thrust washers also allowed. Roller bearings only.
- Gas tank must be stock for year of car and mounted in its
stock position with no raising of tank. Gas strainers
- At least 36 inch of 1 1/2 inch exhaust pipe required,
properly attached to and extending from the exhaust
- Emergency brakes must be in good working condition.
- Complete set of floor boards required in place.
- Bolts on wishbone at rear of pan must be safety wired.
- Ruckstell axles must be disconnected while under time.
- Neoprene seals in rear axle and camshaft optional.
- Shock absorbers are optional.
- No sagging, re-arching or shortening of springs and at
least seven (7) leafs per spring.
- Zerk fittings in place of oil cups are optional.
MODEL "T" ENGINE AND TRANSMISSION
ASSEMBLY MUST BE STOCK WITH THE FOLLOWING EXCEPTIONS
- Reboring of cylinders not to exceed
sixty-thousandths oversize or less than 3.750.
- No limit on amount of milling of block and/or head.
Relieving combustion chamber to accept oversize piston is
- Cast iron or aluminum pistons of stock Model
"T" type required with a compression distance
not to exceed 1-- 15/16 inches measured from center or
pin to top of piston.
- Only stock Ford script high heads allowed.
- There must be one (1) stock piston, rod and cap assembly
in the engine... Exceptions: Cap may be drilled for
dipper and grooved for oil. Choice of rod bolts and nuts
optional. The other three (3) assemblies can be balanced
to this one.
- Drilling of rods, rod caps, main webs and use of dippers
- Full set of piston rings required.
- Chroming of crankshaft optional.
- Oversize journals on crankshaft not allowed.
- Counter-balanced crankshaft not allowed.
- Only standard size valve heads and forty-five degree
valves and seats allowed, pin or two (2) piece keepers
and valve setting optional.
- You may modify the lobes on any stock, Ford script Model
- Only stock cast iron intake manifold or aluminum manifold
with openings not to exceed 1 1/8 inch diameter allowed.
- New remanufactured exhaust manifolds allowed.
- No grinding or polishing of the intake or exhaust
manifold -- or of the ports allowed. Must be stock
dimension which is 1-1/8 inchs.
- Type of fourth (4th) main is optional.
- All transmission bands must be in working order, bonded
- Only NH Holley swayback and/or Ford swayback carburetors
allowed. Must be complete including choke butterfly. No
boring or altering of carburetors or of the needles
and seats. 710 thousandths gauge must not go thru
- Only one outside oil line, not more than one -- half
(1/2) inch outside diameter allowed. Modification to
inside oiling system not allowed.
- Only stock Ford roller type, New Day or Anderson flapper
type timers allowed. Ball or needle bearing rollers
optional. Quick couplers not allowed in timer wires.
- Heat or temperature gauges optional.
- Design and use of water pump optional.
- "V" type belt and pulleys optional.
- Adjustable lifters are optional.
- A restrictor plate provided by the Club will be placed
between the intake manifold and the carburetor,
supervised by inspectors. Plate will be a thickness of 14
gauge metal with an 11/16 inch diameter hole.
THE PENALTY FOR INFRACTION OF ANY OF THE ABOVE
RULES IS DISQUALIFICATION
OUR ASSOCIATION IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR
(end of rules)
Teardown rule changed to require a vote of the
drivers and directors at the end of the race.